Atlantic County Government
DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATIION
1938 Board of Chosen Freeholders
The County is bounded on the north by the Mullica River; on the South by the Great Egg Harbor Bay and the Tuckahoe River; on the West by Camden and Gloucester Counties and on the East by the Atlantic Ocean.
The County Seat was established in Mays Landing in 1837, and a courthouse was built there in 1838.
The first Board of Freeholders was established in Mays Landing in 1837, with representatives from four townships— Galloway, Egg Harbor, Hamilton and Weymouth. As more townships and municipalities came into being, the Board grew to its largest membership — 35 in 1966. In 1967, the State Legislature reduced the large board to a sevenperson-at-large County Board. It remained at that size until 1975, when the new County Charter went into effect.
1976 Board of Chosen Freeholders
The original Atlantic County Administrative Code was
adopted in May 1976 and established eight county departments.
The Administrative Code was last modified in June
1997 and established seven county departments: Administrative
Services, Community Development and Economic
Assistance, Human Services, Law, Public Safety Works
and Regional Planning Economic Development. In addition,
each of the Constitutional Officers have departmental
The Constitutional Officers are: the Prosecutor,
Citizen involvement and input is provided through
Boards. Members are appointed to these Boards
The most prevalent form of local government currently
in existence in Atlantic County is Mayor–Council.
Atlantic County today covers 566.97 square miles,
incorporated into 23 municipalities, ranging in size from
All 23 governing bodies are legally classified as municipalities, although they are properly titled Boroughs, Towns, Townships and Cities.